Harbor tour with Shae

Monday, July 27, 2009

Visitors make me feel less and more like a tourist at the same time

Less: because I have a somewhat better knowledge than the visitor regarding what to do/where to go/how to get there
More: because I do things like circle line tours

So last weekend (this post is anything but timely, I KNOW. Don't hate me--keep following!) Shae (that's my older sister for you stranger-followers) came to visit. I wanted to jam pack our weekend full of fun, memorable things, and I think I succeeded. Also, Kelsey (my roommate's sister) came to town, as did the one and only MQ. Needless to say, it was a very busy weekend.

On Friday I went to an Intern Fest for the PR interns of the Omnicom Group (that's mine and Caroline's umbrella company, it owns several big advertising and PR firms, Porter being one of them.) It was great. I actually found out that my friend Stacey friend from school was interning for a firm up here. After the convention, a few of us went to a bar called Snafu in midtown and discussed all of the fun and exciting things we've been up to. It was great catching up with a familiar friend and also getting to know my fellow PNers a little better. (PS- shout out to my PN friends: Kara, Kayla, Celia, Nancy, Ian and Phillip. Now that you've been mentioned in my blog, you can expect daily emails hassling you to follow it. = )


I left Snafu and went to meet Shae, Wynn, Kelsey, Caroline and MQ in Central Park to listen to the Philharmonic. We stopped and got a pizza and had a picnic among the trees and fireflies (don't make fun- trying to bring some imagery to the blog.) Unfortunately (or fortunately, I like to think) it started to down pour. Fully satiated from the pizza, wine and beautiful music, we beelined for the exit of the park along with the other 70,000 Philharmonic Phans. Think: a Gator game in which the opposing team's fans leave the stadium because they're losing so badly. Similar to that.

With 2 pieces of pizza left in the box, I simply could not throw it away. It was delicious, and I don't know, call me Krysia, but I just can't waste food, ESPECIALLY when there are homeless people every 20 feet around you. And, after a while, my forearms were getting tired of holding the box over my head to protect it from the rain (it was a lost cause, anyways), so i decided to "pie it forward" to a random man on the street. Not homeless, but hungry nonetheless. Like the good New Yorker that he was, he didn't trust my generosity (it's not often you get free things around here, I don't blame him for being wary!), so I took a big bite out of a piece to show him it was okay. It was like we went from not speaking the same language to sharing an immediate bond over a slice of pie--so Eat Pray Love of us.





Other funny things that happened that night:

-Singing New York New York in the rain- perfect way to fool people that you're in fact a temporary resident of the city--sing New York New York. It never gets old.
-Showing up to a bar downtown when it only rained uptown and getting looks like "you are really ugly."







No comments:

Post a Comment